Stanton Bonna Concrete Ltd were concerned about the inherent risks associated with the unloading of gullies from the trailer at the customer’s site. An operator had to climb onto the trailer and either attach a sling or position the gully so that forks could be inserted into the spouts. Both methods involve high-risk activities such as working at height, manual handling of heavy products, and the interaction between vehicles and pedestrians.
These risks were mitigated by developing a new lifting accessory working alongside a manufacturer. The grab enabled a gully to be offloaded directly from the trailer bed solely using an excavator.
- Operator no longer needs to access trailer – working at height
- Reduced manual handling
- No interaction between pedestrian and vehicle
- More secure handling of gullies – avoiding breakages and potential injury
- Improved efficiency and speed of unloading
- Grab device could be used on other sites