|Schools road safety programme
Lafarge Aggregates and Concrete created a programme to help raise children’s awareness about road safety and to influence behaviours amongst their families and friends. The programme was run with schools in Leicestershire.
The programme consists of numerous activities and competitions creating a fun learning experience which is also relevant to the national curriculum. It was designed to be easy to replicate as a variety of Lafarge’s staff were involved in running the events at different schools.
Pre-event meetings were held with teachers to agree action plans.
Pupils and parents were sent letters explaining about the visit. Each programme was launched at a school assembly and run over a four week period involving pupils, teachers and a team of six Lafarge staff. At a final assembly, winners of the competitions were announced and clips of videos shown. All pupils and staff signed
a ‘Safety Pledge’ which is displayed in the school’s entrances. They were given copies of the purpose designed clothing, posters and DVDs of the films created. Activities within the programme
• Creating mini videos about an incident and its consequences
• Learning about blind spots and eye contact
• Understanding braking distances
• Designing fashionable high vis items
• Designing posters
• A safety quiz.
• Increased awareness of road safety and changes in behaviour
• Enhanced relationships with local schools and community
• Involving staff in community activities
• Has created a flexible and easily transferrable programme on road safety.