Mortar plant mixer access hatch
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT DETAILS
Whilst carrying out routine maintenance an operative on a Mortar Plant suffered bruising when the lid on the plant mixer dropped, striking his back. The lid had been raised using a manual winch, however it appears that vibration during mechanical cleaning of the internal mixer components caused the shackle securing the winch to the lid to become loose. A safety chain, installed to act as a secondary retaining device whilst the lid was in the raised position had not been used.
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT IMAGES
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS TAKEN
The following precautions should be in place to prevent a recurrence on sites that have similar mixing devices and access covers:
- Lifting equipment should be subject to formal inspections by competent persons in accordance with the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations, generally for equipment such as that detailed above 6 monthly formal inspection is recommended.
- The shackles used should be fitted with a locking pin or locking nut.
- Safety chains or struts used to secure the lids in the open position should also be subject to formal inspection.
- Site personnel should be aware of the need to use such safety chains/struts, whilst lids are in the raised position and this requirement should be enforced.
- Site rules/procedures should be checked to ensure that they are up to date, include clear instruction on lifting and securing mixer lids and also the use of safety/restraining devices.
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS IMAGES
Click image to enlarge
Mixer lid, lifting hook and shackle
Go back to search critera