Lorry Over Turn
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT DETAILS
During a delivery of sand, a lorry tipped over when the trailer bed was raised. The driver did not sustain any injuries. An investigation was carried out, and it was discovered that when loaded, the sand was not distributed evenly but only on one side of the trailer.
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT IMAGES
Click image to enlarge
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS TAKEN
The lorry was righted and given an inspection before being driven to the vehicle owner's premises.
Key Learning for the Future:
Before any vehicle is righted, the following points must be followed -
- Only an approved lifting contractor or heavy haulage recovery company are to right the vehicle. They must supply a satisfactory lift plan, safe system of work, risk assessment and have received a site induction.
- DO NOT use an FEL or 360 Excavators.
- Only use LOLER certified machines with LOLER certified lifting equipment.
- The driver who operated the vehicle during the tip-over must not be allowed to drive any company or any other vehicle on site, until cleared in writing by a doctor (A&E, GP or Occupational Health).
- A vehicle that has overturned may not be driven on a company site – nor used for any company task until cleared by a commercial vehicle garage – in writing.
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS IMAGES
Go back to search critera