Truck mixer drum accident
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT DETAILS
A conscientious driver has a severed tendon, shattered knuckle joint and torn cartilage, after a lump of concrete fell & hit him whilst he was removing build up from inside a truck mixer drum. He is expected to be off work for between 6 & 8 weeks. His injuries could have been worse!
The Company’s Safe Working Practice was followed, but the accident still occurred.
This accident could have been avoided!!
ACCIDENT / INCIDENT IMAGES
Click image to enlarge
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS TAKEN
• Clean the drum frequently and thoroughly to prevent build up
• Regularly inspect the drum and remove hardened residue as soon as practical
• Read and follow the safe working practice
• Use hand held tools, e.g. scrapers, lump hammers to remove small amounts of hardened material
• Allow material to accumulate to the extent that a pneumatic gun must be used
• Work alone when working inside a drum
LEARNING POINTS / ACTIONS IMAGES
Go back to search critera