Mitigating the high consequence hazards in the Mineral Products Industry
FATAL 2 - Workplace transport and pedestrian interface
19% of fatalities in the industry involve workplace transport, often involving contact with pedestrians.
Every year pedestrians are killed or seriously injured having been hit by mobile plant or other transport operating on a mineral products site.
There are now many technical devices that enhance a driver's vision and warn both pedestrians and drivers about their proximity. New designs and modifications to vehicles can also reduce the potential for and seriousness of an impact.
There are many other simple ways in which the risk of pedestrian contact can be mitigated which include;
- Improved site design and management of site traffic
- Implementation of pedestrian exclusion zones
- Creation of pedestrian walkways
- Improved plant design to include fail safe devices and visual aids
- Improved site and vehicle lighting
- Better signage and warning lights
- Better risk assessments and safe systems of work
- Improved monitoring of activities
Employee's and Manager's Handbooks
Safer by Design
Please follow this link to the section of Safequarry that provides recommended guidelines on the safety features for mobile plant Safer by Design or click on the buttons below to view more information.